Porsche Showroom Posters is a collection of 50 original posters issued by Porsche from 1950-1973 as a means of promoting their brand in showroom settings. Although some of these, in original format, were distributed to individuals, most were showroom-only use. E.A. Singer, in collaboration with Frank Barrett, produced this book that highlights Porsche promotional thinking at the time.
The themes in the posters cover several areas:
- Connecting Porsche to performance on the road
- Porsche successes at intercontinental race events of the 1950s
- The historical imprint of Dr. Ferdinand Porsche’s automotive contributions
- Technical cutaways, lubrication charts, and electrical diagrams of select 356 models and certain components
- Promotional posters of the new 911 and 912, the 911S, 911 Targa, and 911 Carrera RS
Several posters also connect the Porsche brand to The Good Life:
- Porsches posters with a hunting rifle, skis, a golf bag, and even one with a saddle and riding tack
- A Porsche steering wheel grasped by gloved hands
- World travel scenes, such as a ski resort, an African desert, places in Europe
The 50 posters were reproduced on high quality paper stock with brilliant colors and detail. Singer reports that over 95% of the posters were done using a direct scan process, producing laser-sharp images. After years of working in high-end printing, as well as running his own collectible poster business, Singer decided to produce this work in two editions:
- A hardcover edition of 356 signed and numbered copies – sold out;
- A softcover edition of 911 copies, as reviewed by this writer.
Published in California by the author in 2008, the book is available online at VintageAutoPosters.com and through Amazon.com. The book is also offered at the Porsche Museum Store in Germany and would make an excellent addition to your Porsche Library.
Singer also sells posters from his collection and copies of this remarkable book at selected venues. In 2013 year he will be at the Los Angeles Porsche Literature Meet on Saturday, March 2; Singer also organizes and will be present at the annual Automobilia Monterey, this year on August 13-14 (www.AutomobiliaMonterey.com).