My wife just came in and asked if I was interested in going shopping this coming Friday (Black Friday) to try and take advantage of some of the deals that are sure to be offered. My response was an emphatic no! Actually, what I really said was, "I'd rather cut off my legs with a butter knife." I think she got the hint. 🙂
There are many things I find enjoyable (like taking my Porsche for a spirited drive) and other things I'd just as soon avoid (like battling the crowds of screaming kids and stressed out parents in the mall). My guess is that there are a lot more like me out there and chances are (if you're reading this) that you're a Porsche fan too. With that in mind, I thought I would put together a list of gifts for the Porsche lover on your shopping list and make sure they were all things you could purchase on-line (there by avoiding the stress of the mall and giving you more time to drive).
Porsche Gift Ideas
- Race Ramps and other Products from Brute Industries. A number of months ago I reviewed a safe and alternative method for jacking up your Porsche using Brute's RaceRamps. If you have a DIYer on your gift list, here's a chance to get them something nice for the garage and get a 10% discount at the same time. Either read through the review or simply go directly to Brute's web-site. Either way, be sure to use the coupon code of 993c4s8 in order to get 10% off your entire order.
- PORSCHE DESIGN BY Eton, Table Top Stereo System with Dock for iPod/AM/FM/Shortwave/RDS. I've found that a lot of Porscheophiles tend to be audiophiles as well. If that's the case with you, then the Eton P'9120 is a great match. Complete with a built in satellite tuner, iPod dock and short-wave radio, this compact little stereo delivers big sound and will look great in your garage or office. Eton was kind enough to send me one a few months ago to review and I fell in love with its design and sound. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Porsch Design Emergency Crank to see how that sounds in comparison.
- Tamiya Porsche 911 GT3 VIP 2007 RTR RC Car: TT01E TAM57776. You may remember this one from a a few weeks ago. Here's a gift you can buy for the kids and still enjoy yourself. 🙂 Or, if you're like me, just buy it for yourself and then set it up as a drifting machine. If you have a minute, you can check out the video I made and an even better one (produced by someone with better video editing skills) to see just how much fun this little toy can be. One of the coolest features on this car is the LED light kit that allows you to drive at night.
- Porsche Reference Books. Any one of Adrian Streather's "Porsche The Essential Companion" series. I own the 993, 996 and 911sc version (here's a review on the 996.) I should be posting my review on the 911sc version soon. I've found my 993 book to be indispensable when trouble shooting problems. The 996 and the 911sc books are used for reference material and for researching my next Porsche purchase. Any time I post facts or figures about the 993, 996 or 911sc you can pretty much guarantee that the information came from one of Adrian's books.
- Video Games and Accessories. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a video game junkie. I love racing sim type games (as well as role playing games). If any of you have a similar affliction, you're probably familiar with Need for Speed: Undercover. This game is a blast, available on almost all platforms and fairly inexpensive. I wrote a post a few months ago about driving games and how they might improve your track skills. Hell, even if they don't it's still fun. If you or the Porsche lover on your list already has all the video games they need, chance are they may not have a Porsche 911 Turbo Wheel made by Fanatec.
- Finish off your Porsche Library. There are so many Porsche related books it's tough to even know where to begin. However, I think most would agree that two "must haves" for any respectable Porsche library are Karl Ludvigsen's Porsche: Excellence Was Expected: The Comprehensive History of the Company, its Cars and its Racing Heritage - 2008 Update and Genesis of Genius. I just received my copy of Genesis of Genius a week or two ago and I'm slowly making my way through it. Once I complete it you can be sure I'll write up a review. Excellence Was Expected was first published in the late 70's. Having gone through many, many revisions it is now comprised of over 1500 pages spread across three volumes. Some have called it "The Best Automotive History Ever Written". These books are not inexpensive, but they are worth every penny.
- Porsche Related Artwork. Given all the time I'm spending in my garage I figured I might as well make it a nicer place to hang out in. One of the easiest ways to do this is by hanging up some posters and other original art. If you're looking for Porsche related items (and I'm sure you are) then you might want to take a look at the work of Paul Chenard. Last but not least, be sure to check out what's available from Freck's Auto Art. They have some great artwork signed by legendary Porsche race drivers.
- A work of Porsche fiction. If you haven't yet read Hunt for 901, by Kevin Gosselin, what the heck are you waiting for? To the best of my knowledge this is the first and only fictional book that has Porsche front and center. Even if there were other books, this is worth reading on the merits of the story line and writing alone. Hunt for 901 follows Faston Hank and his team as they search the globe to locate Rolland Zeller (the last man to see the missing Porsche 901 prototype). Find Rolland and you find the 901. If you want to read a more in-depth review on Hunt for 901, then you're in luck; just click here.
- A Subscription to 993C4S.com This will be the cheapest gift you buy this season. You know why? Because it's FREE! If you're not already a subscriber, simply follow this link and choose from receiving our newsletter via email or via RSS reader. If the subscription's not for you, just plug in the email address of the person you're sending it to and you're done. I guarantee it will be one of the easiest things you do this holiday shopping season.
A More Comprehensive List of Porsche Gift Ideas
Wow, that's a lot of stuff and I don't even think I've scratched the surface. There are so many items available it's mind boggling. The title of this post promised 10 Gift Ideas and I only listed 9 above. In an attempt to organize things (and give you 10 ideas) I've put together a list of Porsche related products available on Amazon. I've been building this list in anticipation of launching my new blog theme and new name. The new site isn't quite ready to go, but the list is. It's by no means complete, but it's still better than going to the mall and fighting the crowds!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE AND HAPPY SHOPPING!!!
Review of the Porsche Designed P9120 by Eton
Review of the Tamiya Porsche 911 GT3 Cup VIP RC Car
Review of White Racers from Zuffenhausen by Karl Ludvigsen
Review of Hunt for 901 by Kevin Gosselin
Scale Model Porsche 924 Turbo by Tamiya