On the legendary Nürburgring-Nordschleife at the wheel of his Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, René Rast won the Porsche Carrera World Cup – the greatest Porsche race in history with 100 competitors from 25 countries. In a gripping duel for victory on the wet time-honoured track, the German put in a strong drive for his VELTINS Lechner Racing squad, relegating his Austrian team mate Norbert Siedler to second place with a gap of 1.9 seconds. Third place went to Germany’s Lance David Arnold driving for the Motopark Oschersleben team.
It’s an indescribable feeling to have won the greatest Porsche race of all time. After the start I managed to overtake Norbert in the first lap and then tried to control the race. The key to success today was that I made not one mistake. Conditions were tough out there in the rain, particularly because I’ve never driven the Porsche on the Nordschleife in the wet. It was difficult to evaluate the grip level hence I was a little cautious at the start,” said René Rast.
Melanie Snow hit from behind on first lap and unable to continue
“Going into turn one, the guy behind me decided to use me as his brakes, and hit me hard from the back. I spun and was hit by at least one other car, putting us out of the race. I am so disappointed – the folks from PCNA were fantastic to work with and the crew did a great job preparing the car. I met so many wonderful people, and I hope to get an opportunity to come here again and race,” said Ms. Snow.
Overall result Porsche Carrera World Cup
1. René Rast (D), VELTINS Lechner Racing, 1:00:48.621 hours
2. Norbert Siedler (A), VELTINS Lechner Racing, + 1.9 seconds
3. Lance David Arnold (D), Motopark Oschersleben, + 3.6
4. Sean Edwards (GB), Team Abu Dhabi by tolimit, + 18.0
5. Nicolas Armindo (F), Hermes Attempto Racing, + 29.8
6. Kévin Estre (F), Hermes Attempto Racing, + 33.4
7. Jeroen Bleekemolen (NL), Team Abu Dhabi by tolimit, + 37.0
8. Martin Ragginger (A), Schnabl Engineering, + 39.6
9. Patrick Huisman (NL), Team Bleekemolen, + 42.1
10. Stefan Rosina (SK), VERVA Racing Team, + 1:10.8 minutes
Related Porsche Posts
Porsche Employee Team and Pit Crew in Porsche Carrera World Cup
Results and Pictures of Porsche’s Participation in the Nurburgring 24 Hour Race
Why Are Porsche 911 GT3s racing on an F1 Circuit?