Car Magazine's Georg Kacher published a story today about an all electric Porsche said to hit the market in 2019. The so called Type 717 is said to be an all-wheel drive, four door, all electric rival to Tesla. As most of you know, Porsche already produces a number of plug-in hybrids including the Cayenne, Panamera and 918 Spyder. However, this "provisionally badged" 717 would be Porsche's first all electric model to hit the market.
He claims the following:
- The type 717 is being developed on the Volkswagen group’s latest MSB architecture under development for the Panamera Mk2 and the next Bentley Continental.
- It will be a smaller, sportier cousin to the Panamera.
- It will utilize 108 battery pouches in a hump assembly using the center tunnel for the largest concentration.
- It will be four-wheel drive and feature four-wheel torque vectoring and four-wheel steering.
- There will be one electric motor per axle.
- The suspension may feature a electrically controlled air suspension instead of a steel sprung one.
- It will feature three different e-power stages rated at 400, 500 and 600bhp.
- It will have a range of at least 300 miles.
Will It Be Built?
It remains to be seen if Porsche can bring to market a sporty, all-electric vehicle that would offer the performance and luxury needed to be worthy of the Porsche badge. And while Kacher's story doesn't provide a source, it does provide significant, hi-level detail lending credence to the report. Or, it could be just rumor and click bait. Time will tell.
Other Porsche Blog Posts You Will Enjoy
4 Reasons The Porsche 918 Spyder Uses A Top Pipe Exhaust Design
Can The Porsche 918 Spyder Drive The Length Of Manhattan In All Electric Mode Only?
Did You Hear That? Neither Did Anyone Else. Porsche 918 Drives On Electric Power Through London
The 5 Driving Modes Of The Porsche 918 Spyder
An Electric 1967 Porsche 912
[Source: Car Magazine]