This is our third annual Gift List for Porsche Enthusiasts and it continues to grow. In 2008 we started with a measly 10 Porsche Gift Ideas. Last year we upped it to 30+ Gifts for the Porsche Fan. Listed below is our comprehensive list of Porsche related gift ideas. If you find this list helpful please give it a thumbs up on facebook and share it amongst like minded friends using the buttons to the left or at the end of the post.
How the list of Porsche gift ideas is organized
As this list gets longer and longer we’ve found it more important to organize things in order to make it easier for you to find the perfect gift. This year we kick things off with the special discounts and offers we’re able to provide you. Most of them they are time sensitive, so if you’re thinking of taking advantage of one be sure to read the details and act fast (these discounts are no longer available as they were time sensitive). Immediately after this group we break things into categories to make your search that much easier. That’s it. Happy shopping!
New and Recent Books about Porsche
Besides the great offer from David Bull Publishing above, the list of books about Porsche continues to grow each year. While we do our best to review as many of them as we can, it’s simply not possible to keep up with the flood of books that have deluged the market. The links below are but a small sampling of what we think will make a good gift. Posted in our Amazon Store is a much more comprehensive listing of Porsche related Books.
- While the Kindle isn’t directly Porsche related, it is a pretty cool gadget and one that most Porsche lovers will enjoy. As of right now, only two of our recommended books below are available for the kindle: Hunt for 901 and The Gold-Plated Porsche but that shouldn’t stop your from enjoying this cool piece of tech.
- New to this year’s list is a work of fiction by Ted West titled Closing Speed. Narrating this fictional account of the 1970 World Manufacturer’s Championship is journalist Nic Thorne. A young motorsport scribe who finds himself in close and intimate quarters with the drivers and celebrities he is there to report on. At about three quarters of the way through this great work of Porsche fiction, we feel more than comfortable recommending it on the merits of the plot and character development alone. The fact that Closing Speed incorporates one of the most storied rivalries in motorsport history (Porsche vs. Ferrari) just makes it that much better.
- A French Kiss with Death: Steve McQueen and the Making of Le Mans
is a must read for Porsche, Steve McQueen or Le Mans fans. A behind the scenes look at one of the most epic motorsport films of all times, this book provides a detailed look at the trials and tribulations that went into filming a story at 200+ MPH. (Our Review of A French Kiss with Death)
- In Behind the Wheel: The Great Automobile Aficionado, Robert Puyal presents eighty idols of the automobile world, including pioneers of the automotive industry, champion racing drivers, superstar car aficionados, and celebrated fictional characters. Among the inspirational figures featured is cover model James Dean who infamously met his death in a 550 Porsche Spyder.
- If you were unable to make the journey to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta for the Allure of The Automobile (featuring the Porsche Type 64) it’s possible the show’s official catalog might be the next best thing. (Our Review of Allure of the Automobile)
- Like the race car it chronicles, Jeff Zwart’s exquisitely rendered images of 17 of the most beautiful and historic 917s are destined to become the next piece of Porsche publishing “legend”; Porsche 917 X17: The Cars and Drivers in Studio. If you haven’t added this to your Porsche Library yet, do so now before they are all gone. (Our Review of Porsche 917 x 17)
- Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence at Speed (Our Review)
- Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs
- Porsche Icons
- The Porsche Book
- Generation Porsche
- Porsche: Sounds
- Porsche Museum: The Cars
- Porsche: Excellence Was Expected: The Comprehensive History of the Company, its Cars and its Racing Heritage (Our Review)
- Ferdinand Porsche – Genesis of Genius
- Porsche: The Fine Art of the Sports Car (Our Review)
- Porsche Spyders 1956-1964: Type 550A, RSK and 718 (Ludvigsen Library Series) (Our Review)
- The Art of Racing in the Rain (Our Review)
- White Racers from Zuffenhausen: Porsche 904, 906, 907, 908, 909, 910 (Our Review)
- Hunt for 901 (Our Review)
- Porsche 911SC: The Essential Companion
- Porsche 993 Essential Companion
- Porsche 996 The Essential Companion: Supreme Porsche (Our Review)
- Porsche High-Performance Driving Handbook (Our Review)
- Porsche 911: Perfection by Design (Our Review)
- Porsche: The Road from Zuffenhausen
- Porsche Sixty Years
- The Book of the Porsche 356 (Our Review)
Even More Porsche Books
There’s nothing better than a quick walk down to the mailbox and coming back with a new issue of your favorite Porsche magazine. There are currently six (6) Porsche magazines available to the general public here in the states (seven if you include the PCA’s members only Panorama). You gotta love a gift that keeps on giving month after month.
- Excellence: The Magazine About Porsche
- 911 & Porsche World
- Christophorus – Porsche Magazine
- Total 911
- GT Purely Porsche
Porsche Club Memberships
If you’re a Porsche owner and you don’t belong to your local owner’s club, you really don’t know what you’re missing. In the US and Canada, the Porsche Club of America (PCA) is king. With more than 100,000 members there is bound to be a local and active group in your community. We personally participate in three different regions and enjoy interacting with other Porsche owners immensely. If you’re not yet a member of the PCA or similar type club, you should really think about joining up. If you’re the husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc of a Porsche owner and they are not yet a PCA member, this is a fantastic gift (the cost of membership includes 2 people). Not only will they meet other people with similar
obsessions interests, a membership to the PCA includes a monthly subscription to Panorama Magazine.
Porsche Maintenance and Repair Items
Admittedly, we don’t do
a lot any of my own service work on my Porches. However, over the years, I have come to enjoy and appreciate a few small items that make Porsche ownership a little easier, especially if your Porsche doesn’t happen to be your daily driver.
- The OT-2 (Open Tune) by Innovate Motorsports is an all-in-one, ultra-portable solution that turns your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad or PC into a powerful wireless OBD-II enabled Porsche diagnostic tool. Powered by the free, downloadable LogWorks Mobile app available at the Apple App Store, the OT-2 unit wirelessly provides a variety of valuable automotive functionality and information via its OBD-II connection to your Porsche, including a dyno digital dashboard, an efficiency meter, a data logger and an OBD-II scan tool. You can use it with wirelessly with your PC too or via USB connection.
- Porsche Dual Mode Battery Maintainer / Charger This is perfect for those that store their Porsche over the winter and don’t want to bother with the hassle of removing and reinstalling the battery.
- If you’re planning on driving your Porsche year round you might want to think about how to Protect your vehicle this winter with WeatherTech® DigitalFitTM FloorLinersTM from MacNeil Automotive.. The best part is they’re not just for winter use. We recently moved to the beach and the amount of sand that gets tracked into our Porsches is huge. Having a set of these mats made and custom fit to the 911 and the Cayenne has been a lifesaver!
- At the rate that some Porsches go through tires, and given the huge selection of other automotive related items, the perfect gift for any Porsche enthusiast just might be A gift certificate from Tire Rack.
- Porsche Tire Gauge with Case My cars come out mostly on the weekends, so with all that time sitting between drives, I’m constantly checking the tire pressure. My wife bought this gauge for me two years ago and it’s the only one I’ve used since.
- While you can’t repair your Porsche with it, you might not be able to get the job done without it. Breaking down is bad. Breaking down in the dark is even worse. The Porsche Design mPower Emergency Illuminator not only looks great, it has a 20 year power reserve battery that guarantees light when you need it. (Our Review of the mPower Emergency Illuminator)
Porsche Gifts for Her
we wrote a post last year titled “Father’s Day Gift Ideas for the Porsche Lover“. Shortly after publishing it, we received a few emails from some of our female readers wanting to know where our list of Mother’s Day gift ideas was (we published one!). We responded that any of the items on that list would work for a woman, but we got the hint. So, here are a few gift ideas with the female Porsche owner/lover in mind.
- Chroma Type 301 Porsche Designed Knives Before I start getting hate mail, I don’t think it’s only women that do the cooking, but outside of me and a few others, I don’t know a lot of men that get excited at the idea of new kitchen knives. Personally, I love these Chroma knives and use them pretty much exclusively. A word of warning, they are not inexpensive! However, properly cared for they should last you a lifetime. If you’re interested, Mrs. 993C4S wrote a review of the Chroma Porsche Designed knives last year after using them for a little while.
- Our friend Dede on Facebook gave us a bunch of ideas and I have to say one of my favorites are the Le Mans 917 Mini Slip On Shoes.
- Porsche Sport’s Driving School: Women Only. Described as being designed for the woman who enjoys driving and wants to experience the essence of Porsche automobiles as well as enhance her current driving skills. The Women’s Only Performance course will not only allow you to pursue your passion for excitement; it will also cater to your need to escape.
Porsche Electronics, Toys and Models
- Valentine One Radar Detector I’ve used a Valentine for years in two of my cars and have been saved many times. They might be expensive, but the first ticket you get saved from will more than cover the purchase price!!
- GoPro HD Motorsports HERO On-Board High-Definition Digital Camera for Motorsports I currently have and use the GoPro Hero Wide Camera for Motorsport and have become a very big fan. It’s easy to set-up, easy to mount and takes great videos. I’ve used mine to do everything from making videos at DE events to attaching to my dog’s collar and letting her run around for an hour. 🙂
- Tamiya 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 VIP Cup RC car or Porsche 911 GT3 Cup Car ’08 White Ready to Run RC Car. If you can’t afford the real thing (and quite frankly, who can?) this is the next best thing. (Our Review)
- Today’s technology has made playing driving video games pretty darn close to the real thing (especially when you include a set-up like those from Fanatec below). It doesn’t really matter how old you are, your gender or what you drive; if the people on your Porsche shopping list don’t already have an Xbox or a PS3, get them one. More importantly, get them one of the better driving games like Need for Speed, Forza or Gran Turismo.
- It doesn’t matter if you’re a casual gamer or a club racer looking to improve your skills, these Fanatec Racing wheels are a blast and work extremely well. Choose from the following: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Wheel – Clubsport edition or the Porsche 911 Turbo S Wheel. If you already have your own wheel, then check out this RennSport Wheel Stand. (Our Review)
- If you miss out on the Top Gear set from Griot’s Garage above, we found this great Porsche Slot Car Set on ebay. Along with that set, were many other options for Porsche slot car fans.
- Porsche 917LH Lemans 1970 I recently started collecting Porsche die cast models. Right now my collection ranges from 1/10th scale to 1/43. I understand from talking with others that I might eventually settle on one size, but for right now I like my eclectic collection. This 917 is one I don’t currently have, but would love to own. (Santa, are you reading?).
- Another 1/18th scale model Porsche to consider is this 1980 935K3 Le Mans #71 Car from TrueScale. What I love about this car (besides the excellent build quality) is that the chief sponsor was a little known start-up company called ‘Apple Computer’. I wonder if Apple’s success can be attributed to their appearance in the 1980 24 Hours of Le Mans? 🙂
Porsche Watches, Jewelery and Other Accessories
Porsche Design Watches. It seems like a lot of us who drive and collect Porsches collect other items as well. I’m no different. After Porsche, my next biggest obssesion is most definitely watches. Porsche Design Watches lets me combine my two loves. They are not inexpensive, but they are almost as nice to look at as the cars.
Given all the time I’m spend in my garage (that’s where my computer is too) I figured I might as well make it a nicer place to hang out in. One of the easiest ways to do this is by hanging up some posters and other original art.
If you’re looking for Porsche related artwork (and I’m sure you are) then you might want to take a look at theses affordable and extremely well executed limited edition prints by Stéphane Dufour. If you live in the US, Stéphane’s work can be purchased through his distributor in California or you can contact him directly if you are interested in the original art that the limited editions are derived from. My favorite piece, without a doubt, is the homage to the 1970 Porsche 917 Martini n°3 and its psychedelic decoration created in wood and aluminum. That’s a picture of it up above.
Another notable automotive artist is Paul Chenard. For those of you who are long time subscribers you may remember Paul as the artist who created the current FlatSixes.com logo and the creator of the Porsche artwork purchased for me two years ago!
Porsche Related Stocking Stuffers
Shopping for Christmas is already expensive enough. Add Porsche anything to the mix and the price just went up. The following deas make great stocking stuffers and won’t break the bank.
- 2011 Porsche Wall Calendar
- Porsche Key Chains
- Spotlight Rechargeable Flashlight (Our Review)
- Porsche Valve Stem Caps
- Possibly the best car movie ever made: Le Mans DVD (Read More)
- Porsche Design The Essence for Men 0.04 oz Eau de Toilette Sampler Vial Spray
- OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE LOSING DECALS Now these are simply fun. Click on the link to see how they will look on your side mirrors.
- You simply can’t go wrong buying the most recent season of Top Gear!
- The perfect gift for any auto enthusiast: A gift certificate from Tire Rack.
- A Free Subscription to PorchePurist.com
Ok, admittedly, the list above is long. However, it is hardly comprehensive. What else could we include next year? Where possible, we did try to point you in the right direction and provide a link for each item to make your shopping easier. We have no plans to battle the crowds come “Black Friday”. We’re all about shopping online and “Cyber Monday”. 🙂