One of the more intriguing myths about the Cayman is that during its development, Porsche engineers realized that the Cayman was actually going to be faster than the 911. As the story goes, upon hearing this, the top brass in Stuttgart ordered their engineers to make the car slower so that it wouldn’t dilute the 911 brand.
This myth fascinated me when I first heard it spoken in hushed tones on a crisp fall morning at cars and coffee. I decided to go research it, and to my disappointment, there really weren't any facts to support the story.
What I did begin to discover is that there are quite a few myths about the Porsche Cayman out there that just aren’t true. However, through the little bits of research I did on these myths, I actually learned a good deal of other interesting - and true - information about the history of the Cayman. Fortunately in most circumstances, the truth is better than the myth.
Top 10 Porsche Cayman Myths
1. The Porsche Cayman is just a Boxster with a roof.
2. The Porsche Cayman was actually going to be faster than the 911, but Porsche re-engineered it to be slower to preserve the 911 brand.
3. The Porsche Cayman is an expensive car.
4. The Porsche Cayman is a cheap car.
5. The Porsche Cayman is slow.
6. You can’t drive a Cayman in the snow.
7. The Porsche Cayman is a gas guzzler.
8. The Porsche Cayman IMS bearing will blow up your engine.
9. The Porsche Cayman will help you attract women.
10. The Cayman is a popular car.
What other myths did I miss? Let us know in the comments below.